Canadian citizens need a valid passport to enter the U.S. In addition to a valid passport, you need the
following documents:
•        A valid DS-2019 form in order to re-enter the US in J-1 status as an exchange visitor teacher.
•        SEVIS fee receipt.

Canadian citizens seeking first-time J-1 status upon their admission to the U.S. must pay the SEVIS fee of
$180, a one-time only fee.  You must show your SEVIS fee receipt, along with your DS-2019 and passport, in
order to be granted admission to the U.S. in J-1 status.  

You must first receive your DS-2019 form from the Cordell Hull Foundation containing your SEVIS ID no.  The
SEVIS fee cannot be paid at the land border crossing or at the Canadian airport before you leave for the U.S.  
You may pay it online using this link:

Numbers you need in order to pay the SEVIS fee

1.     The Cordell Hull Foundation Program No.:  P-3-01333 located in Section 2 of your DS-2019 form.

2.     Your SEVIS ID, starting with
N000------  located in the upper right-hand corner of your DS-2019 form.

How is the SEVIS fee charged and collected?

1.  Online submission of form I-901 ( to DHS with payment of $180 SEVIS Fee via Visa,
MasterCard, or American Express.  You can pay the SEVIS fee online from anywhere in the world.

2. Mail-in submission of form I-901 to DHS address on form along with $180 SEVIS fee paid by check, money
order, Western Union, or foreign draft drawn on a financial institution in the U.S. and payable in U.S. currency.
Mail-in form I-901 is sent to a DHS office in the U.S. This is the least efficient method of paying the SEVIS fee.  
It may take several weeks to receive your receipt, which you need to enter the US.

Someone other than you (a friend, family member) can pay the SEVIS fee for you by using one of the two
methods just described.

Don't forget to print a copy of your SEVIS fee receipt.  Download it from the Internet at the time of payment.

You must present your Form DS-2019 and make a request upon entering the US to be granted J-1 status. This
means that you must receive (first-time crossing) or retain (re-entering the US) in your possession an I-94
card indicating that you were admitted for J-1 status for duration of status ("J-1 D/S"). Canadians who enter
without the appropriate documents for J-1 status are considered short-term tourists ineligible for employment
or any other benefits associated with J-1 status.

If you are a Canadian citizen being sponsored in J-1 status, you do
NOT require a J-1 visa stamp in your
passport (thus no contact with the U.S. embassy!).  You do, however, need a DS-2019 form issued by the
Cordell Hull Foundation to present to a U.S. border officer upon entering the U.S.  Whenever you leave the US
and return, fold and staple this form inside your passport.

J-2 dependents (spouse or children of the J-1 teacher) are not required to pay the SEVIS fee.

When to Enter the U.S.

You may enter the country up to 30 days before the start date indicated on your DS-2019 form in Section 3.