The Cordell Hull Foundation for International Education

        Dependent J-2 Visa Issuance Synopsis 2015


Step 1

If family members are arriving initially at the same time, the teacher or school sends a check for $100 for each child and $200 per spouse to the Cordell Hull Foundation, 45 Rockefeller Plaza FL 20, New York, NY  10111.  This fee is payable each year that the J-2 dependent lives with the J-1 teacher in the U.S.

If the spouse or child is joining the teacher in mid-year and the paperwork must be issued separately by CHF, the cost doubles to $200 per child and $400 per spouse.


Step 2
The prospective teacher completes the online J-2 Dependent Visa roster online from

Click on J-2 Dependent Roster,

Fill in all boxes, and

Click the SUBMIT button at the bottom of the page.


Step 3

The candidate may either scan and email to or fax to the CHF digital fax number, 646-349-3455:

     (1) Copy of name page in passport of J-2 dependent. Please make sure the scan or fax is legible. Make sure scanned images are sent right side up. If you fax, make a Xerox copy of the passport first and enlarge it at least 25% before faxing.

     (2) For newly-wed spouse joining the teacher after s/he is already living in the US and recently married, please scan and send to a copy of the marriage certificate.


Step 4

The teacher sends an email to giving:

(1)   the address to which s/he wishes the visa paperwork and instructions to be mailed

(2)   the country where the dependent plans to apply for the J-2 visa stamp

Step 5

The J-2 dependent must make an appointment apply for a J-2 stamp in the passport at an American Embassy abroad.  It is not possible to obtain a J-2 visa stamp in the United States.   If the dependent is already in the U.S. in visa visitor status, s/he may apply for a stamp at an American Embassy in Canada. However, only Mexican citizens may apply for new visa types at American Embassies in Mexico. (Some categories are authorized to renew existing visa types.)  See

Important Note:  J-2 dependents do NOT pay the SEVIS fee.

Step 6

The J-2 visa applicant follows the instructions on the website of the Embassy in the country where s/he plans to apply and pays an “entrance” fee of $160 to process the visa. The dependent checks the website of the American Embassy in the applicable country to follow the specific procedures and to obtain any additional documents that may be required for non-immigrant visas. 


The minimum document requirements for all J-2 exchange teachers are:

(1) Completed Form DS-160 in its interactive version online.

(2) Marriage certificate for spouses.

(3) Birth certificates for children, and English translation if not written in English.

J visa regulations require the exchange teacher and all dependents to be able to read and understand the process to obtain the J-2 visa stamp in the passport.